by Alice Tornquist of NJ
I have been encountering an increasing number of people in NJ who have had been adversely affected by exposure to mold and / or what appears to be mold exposure both in their homes and work places. A friend had been experiencing significant fatigue and other disturbing symptoms. Her doctor suggested the cause could be mold exposure. She lives in a home that was built in the 1960s. While cleaning a cabinet one day, she found black mold. Another woman had to move out of her home because of Super Storm Sandy and she and her husband were renting. While in the rental home she began to suffer many symptoms that she identified as being caused by mold exposure. Yet another friend informed me that someone had passed away in one of the senior villages from what her doctor diagnosed as illness caused by mold exposure in the woman’s home. Some volunteers helped a woman in my church clean her house. She had mold growing on her walls. My sense of smell is ordinarily very dull but when I walked into a church in an adjacent county to where I live in NJ, I noticed a strong odor of mold. In addition to all of these, I found it necessary to remediate my own crawl space because of the dampness resulting in mold growth on the beams and an infestation of carpenter ants. A co-worker had a persistent cough and other symptoms sitting in his cubicle over a period of several months. His doctor could not figure out what was wrong. His desk was located directly under a heating / air conditioning vent. He asked the maintenance department about possible mold coming from the duct work. They told him that he would have to tell them the type of mold that he was allergic to before they would consider doing any remediation of the duct system. After taping a piece of cardboard over the vent, his symptoms immediately subsided. The person who sat in his cubicle before him then realized that he had continually struggled with persistent illnesses while there and after moving to another cubicle he was fine.