My mold journey probably started over 30 years ago when after we built our second home and started having water leaks in the basement when it rained.
I started having sinus issues leading to 3 sinus surgeries and one ear surgery. I tested positive for several mold allergies. Later, I developed anxiety, panic attacks and depression. I had neurological symptoms from a past event (undiagnosed bartonella and babesia) that were getting worse and vertigo and dizziness.
In 2005 I developed RSD or CRPS, a pain syndrome. By 2007 I was diagnosed with drug and chemical sensitivities. I never suspected mold was the common denominator.
It all fell apart in 2011 when we noticed a wet spot on the carpet in the basement. We removed the wall and found black mold.
The first remediator used a heat process which heated the basement to 160 degrees which was supposed to kill the mold and make it harmless to remove. Instead, the heat pushed the mycotoxins from the mold up through the walls of my house, poisoning every inch of it. I wasn’t able to live there again. We hired a national company who spent 9 days trying to clean up my house to no avail.
I lived with my mom for 3 months and my daughter for 6 months while my husband and my 2 cats remained in the house for 9 more months until we rented an apartment. Unfortunately, my 2 cats made me so sick that I had to put them in foster care. My cat stories are notorious and too long to tell here. So all I will say is that my cat Maizie died in foster care from bladder or kidney cancer. My cat Charlie is living with us now but still emits toxins and makes me sick. My husband was too distressed to lose him after we suffered so much loss.
My illness has caused tremendous grief and division among friends and family. It has caused us to lose our home, belongings, friends and financial security. It caused stress and strain on our marriage and declining health despite many treatments and doctors. Validation by mainstream medicine and loved ones would mean the world to me.