My Mold Story~
In 2007 our family was exposed to a water damaged home. We lived there for about 9 months with a leaking roof. This was a new home with a huge hole in the dining room ceiling caused from shoddy work and a leaking roof. Once we finally moved we decided to rent for a while. The rental I believe had mold under the carpet. I later found out a previous renter had overflowed the bathtub and I’m sure it wasn’t properly remediated.
I realized that I didn’t feel right while living in the first water damaged home and it just kept getting worse. My journey began seeking help from doctor after doctor with no real help just referrals to see the next doctor who wouldn’t be able to help me either. I was extremely ill to the point I could barely use my arms, stand, cook dinner, clean the house or play with my children. I felt like a huge failure and continued to beat myself up because after all the doctors kept telling me I was healthy! I was a shell of myself and I truly felt like I was dying.
Then things took a turn for the worse with our family. First our beloved dog died from a mass in her lungs causing respiratory distress, she couldn’t breath and regardless of all our attempts she had to be put down. We were devastated. Then while I was so sick and still searching for answers my 41 year old husband was diagnosed with stage III colon cancer. It felt like a nightmare. He endured major surgery and 6 months of chemotherapy. He is doing great now but it was a tough road. We own a small business and he was unable to work for nearly a year due to cancer treatments. I was too sick to work as well and at that time I became a caregiver for my husband with cancer. We also have two children, at that time they were 7 and 8 years old. God’s Grace is the only way we made it through!
I finally got diagnosed with CIRS (Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome) this past year from mold exposure. By the time that happened my thyroid wasn’t working, my adrenals were burned out and my immune system wasn’t working. It took me 3 long years to finally find a D.O. that works in environmental medicine that could correctly recognize this illness. I have made progress but it is a long road to recovery and a fine balance. The mainstream medical doctors and insurance companies need to catch up with the devastating health impacts caused from mold. During my journey I saw 11 different doctors that were clueless. That is just ridiculous and such a failure on the medical community. We pay for health insurance but ironically my insurance won’t pay for my mold illness. So after digging ourselves out of cancer we still have to pay for our mainstream medical insurance coverage and then out of pocket for my mold illness. Where is the justice???
Then to add to the situation my son also began to have health problems. He was also diagnosed with CIRS. He is unable to attend a brick and mortar school because the schools are moldy too. He was getting hit with mold from home and at school. We tried to keep him in school but he wasn’t responding to treatment because he was continuing to be exposed. He is also going through treatment and you guessed it insurance won’t cover his treatment either. We both have the genetic susceptibility to mold, mine is considered the dreaded gene and his is Lyme specific. I have to wonder what good are all these “test scores” from our students if our children are unable to work when they become adults because they are chronically ill due to deadly air quality in our schools. The schools need to pay attention and do something for the health of the students and staff. They are also denying there is a problem, fixing leaking roofs and HVAC systems is big money and we all know it’s not being spent there.
Thank God my daughter does not have the susceptibility to mold. Although, her inflammatory numbers were highly elevated and it is something we are monitoring. She has not had the health problems my son has had.
This has changed our lives forever and is very difficult to manage in all respects. We have since moved and basically live in our bubble of a home with a constant hum of de-humidifiers and hepa air filters. I have hope that we will eventually get better and be able to have some normalcy back in our lives. But until then we are learning to adjust to our new normal.